Unsure how to make a home inventory (screenshots included)

C

Cat

I want to make a home inventory. I know to do Objects to set how I want the forms to look like, so for a book I would make an Object and add fields for title, author, genre, etc. I know I can make an Object with Combination so I can choose the Category of an item, e.g. Book for a book item.

I have downloaded and looked at the Simple account for trading project example but cannot make heads or tails of how it all connects.

I'm unsure how to do the following.

1: get the home inventory to look like the main screen (screenshot: main screen), where I can select a category and then get a list of different categories, which I would then click on to get a list of the items. For example, as per the screenshot, I click on Locations to get a list of locations, and if I click on Den I would get a list of items that are located in the Den. If I was to click on Categories instead, I would get Books, DVDs, CDs, etc and clicking on Books would get me a list of books.

main screen.png

2. get the database set up so I can have an entry screen like the one in the object entry screen screenshot. If I make a Form of Link, I get the option to only select one Object so I could only select Books, not Books, DVDs, etc. With MS Access, if I want to set up a form, I can select more than one Object.

object entry screen.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Cat

I have done a google translate on the How to bind objects using parameters thread in the Russian forum. It think it is what I need but I am not entirely sure. If I click on the screenshots I get told to login and I don't want to make a new account just to see them.

Anti

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,
Please see an attached example in Runabase based on your screenshots.
If you have an example of such a database in Access, please attach it in the zip archive.

As far as I know, in MS Access, you cannot select from different objects for one field.

screen1.png screen2.png

Attachments

Anti

Administrator
Staff member
I have done a google translate on the How to bind objects using parameters thread in the Russian forum. It think it is what I need but I am not entirely sure.
I think it is not what you need. Parameters are used for filtering: you have two lists (link to object field), and when choosing a value in the first, not all records appear in the second. E.g. you choose car make in one list, then when you choose car model, list of models is filtered by previously choosed make.