What are String constants and what are they used for?

RSZ-EC

Hi everybody!

In version 5, please can you tell me in what way String constants are used? I suppose they can be used in fields or perhaps be called using shortcut keys? Maybe filling a [String] field with one of them when a [Composite] field return a specific value? (I really, really hope so)

Thanks in advance!

Anti

Administrator
Staff member
Hello! Thank you for the question!

String constants are used to substitute specified named strings in Composite fields and in document templates of all objects / forms of the current project.
The syntax for specifying a constant to substitute its value is:
[Constant Name]

You can see an example of using string constants in templates in the demo project 'Simple accounting for trading', form 'Invoices', Word template 'Invoice.dotx'. In this project, the names of the string constants begin with the prefix "_". This is done to distinguish with field names. If the constant name coincides with the field name of the object, the name of the field is priority.

Anti

Administrator
Staff member
There is no other use of constants yet. But recently an interesting idea of using constants was discussed at the Russian-language forum (here). The point is that the path to the document (for example, with a title page or signature) is written in the value of the constant. And in project documents, the File function is used with a constant as an argument. This function allows you to insert not only images, but also text documents and word documents. Then, if a piece of text should ever change, then it will not need to be edited in all templates, but only in one place.

Anti

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe filling a [String] field with one of them when a [Composite] field return a specific value? (I really, really hope so)
In version 6, you can use Condition field to set some value to field when the Composite field takes a certain value.

RSZ-EC

In version 6, you can use Condition field to set some value to field when the Composite field takes a certain value.
And in version 5, we can use those String constants, several Comoposite and String fields to get the same result. Thanks a lot!!