Clicking the Projects button in the main menu opens a form with a list of Projects and Connections on the tab in the left part of the window.
Opening a Project or Connection to a project is done by double-clicking on the name, or using the "Open" command of the context menu.
To the right of the list, the tab displays the properties of the selected Project / Connection.
Project / Connection management is carried out through the buttons of the main or context menu of this form:
– Create, Edit properties, Delete;
– Import and Export to/from .rbase archive;
– Database optimization;
– Opening the project directory in system Explorer.
To create a new project, use the Create button, which opens a window with a choice:
– create a new project;
– create a connection to the project.
After you choose to create a project, a window opens to fill in the properties:
– project name;
– automatic autoarchiving (no / daily / weekly / monthly);
– the number of visible entries in the database tables (paging);
– work mode: single-user or multi-user.
The project archive is placed in the \Backup folder located in the directory with the program, with the name of the mask: Project_name-MM-dd_hh-mm.
After saving the project properties, the user has access to the data structure designer.
To create a connection to a project that is open to multi-user access, use the sequence: the Create button, the "Connection" option.
In the connection properties are set:
– the name of the server project;
– login and password.
Login and password are saved in order not to enter them each time you connect to the project. If you do not specify them in the properties, then they will be requested at each connection, if the access level is configured.
To change the properties of a project or connection, use the "Edit" button in the project form menu or the corresponding context menu command in the project list.
Deletion is performed only through context menu.
A project with multi-user access is not allowed to be deleted. It is required to change property to single-user. Before this, you need to make sure that the project is turned off in the network project Manager.
When a project is deleted, its directory is placed in the system basket and, if necessary, it can be restored from there.
When exporting a project, the catalog with the project data is placed in a special archive with the .rbase extension.
When creating an archive are specified:
– location of the archive in the file system;
– the name of the project, which will be offered when importing from the archive;
– comment to the project.
If the path to the archive file is tinted yellow, it means that the file with the same name already exists along the specified path and when exporting a question will be asked to confirm the replacement of an existing file.
Note: the project name may differ from the archive file name, for example, if you want to use a Latin layout for the file name (for posting on the Internet), and for the project name - national.
The comment to the project is visible when importing from the archive, as well as in the "About" window of the "Tools" menu. Pic.
There are two ways to import a project from an archive file:
– in the program, in the menu of the project form;
– by double clicking on the archive file, if the program was installed into the operating system (install mode was selected as Normal).
After selecting a file, a window opens to specify the name of the project. The default name is the one that was specified when exporting to the archive file.
If the project name is tinted red, this means that a project with the same name already exists and you need to specify a different name. Overwriting a project over an existing one is not allowed.
The import window also displays project notes and the version of the program in which the project archive was created. When importing a project of earlier versions, the structure is modified and the data are updated in accordance with the current version of the program.
The optimization command performs the following operations on the database:
– create indexes for key fields and for fields for which sorting is set;
– delete old unused indexes;
– perform database compaction at the expense of free space from the deleted records (the VACUUM command to SQLite).
– for comparison: an object in an optimized database with 1 million records can be opened for about 1 second, and in the non-optimized - from 30 seconds and more;
– it is useful to optimize the transfer of the project to others: guaranteed to remove all deleted records in the project;
– calculation of data in the Result forms is made much faster, which also relieves the load on the server computer during multi-user work.